Date:      Sat, 02 Sep 2000 21:15:23 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
Cc:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, sthaug@nethelp.no, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, ume@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: setuid ssh should die (Re: Request for review: nsswitch)

> On Sat, Sep 02, 2000 at 02:58:22PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> > Rather, it's so it can read the host key, which is only readable by
> > root.
>
> We're talking about ssh, not sshd.
>
> IMHO, ssh should be mode 0555.  I have to change this all the time on
> my machines, since I often socksify ssh.

Yes, a make.conf variable would be in order, defaulting to 0555 in
line with FallBackToRsh being set to no in /etc/ssh/ssh_config.  It
would also be worth mentioning the make.conf setting in ssh_config.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>