Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 22:39:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        <tsikora@powerusersbbs.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: JFS

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001, Ted Sikora wrote:

>Reiserfs would be nice on FreeBSD though. IBM's JFS might be even
>better.

I pound on a 300G RAID5 running XFS 1.0 for Linux from SGI on a daily
basis.  It's rock solid.  Reiser is getting there and I'm sure JFS will
also be nice.  However, people seem to forget that BSD already has a
solution to this problem.  It has for decades.  It's called LFS.
FreeBSD has pretty much dropped support for it, however the NetBSD guys
have it working again and it would be far easier to port the NetBSD LFS
code than to port an FS from linux.  We run linux on those large RAID
fileservers because we need journaling support to save us from fsck'ing
300G.  If someone wanted to port LFS I'm sure it would get a lot of use
under FreeBSD.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.  Instead
of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit
their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one
of the facts that needs altering.
	- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"