Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 09:31:13 +1000
From:      "Taras M. Dowhaluk" <taras@BuggerIT.com.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: REVISED: Active partition problems with FreeBSD 4.0/NT dual-boot

Sorry for the late post on this subject, just getting thru some backlog.

If someone has already mentioned boot0cfg then pls ignore, otherwise I
found boot0cfg a very useful tool to create my disk1 boot sector. Mind you
this is on 3.2, unsure of 4.0.

From a previous post:

BOOT FREEBSD FROM NTLDR

spindle 0: ptn 1: FAT drive C:, NTLDR, BOOT.INI.
         : ptn 2: NTFS
spindle 1: ptn 1: FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE, da1s1a, da1s1b
         : ptn 2: NTFS

When I installed FreeBSD I chose not to alter the MBR.
My BOOT.INI for bsd reads:
C:\BOOTSECT.BSD="FreeBSD 3.2"

I created BOOTSECT.BSD thus:
* ensure you have a backup of MBR and PBS from both disks.
  I used the NTRESKIT DISKSAVE when booted from a DOS floppy.
  Good idea if you have FAT/NTFS to have a DOS boot floppy with
  DISKSAVE, NTFSDOS etc, and a copy of all the various boot sectors.

* boot into FreeBSD by whatever means.

*  as root,
   boot0cfg -v -B -d 0x81 -o noupdate,setdrv -f /tmp/BOOTSECT.BSD -t 1 da1
   I ran this twice to get a copy of the new MBR1 into /tmp/BOOTSECT.BSD

* copy /tmp/BOOTSECT.BSD to C:\BOOTSECT.BSD by whatever means.

* reboot.

regards, taras