Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 22:40:18 -0400
From:      David Heller <dheller1@rochester.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Package duplications

John wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I was fiddling through my package information, and I found that I have 3
> different versions of the TCL package installed (8.0.5, 8.1.a2, and
> 8.3.b1).  I was wondering - are all three truly necessary for any
> compatability issues?  Or would I be able to get rid of the first two?
>
> Also, if I *DO* try to pkg_delete the first two, I get messages declaring
> dependencies on those packages.  How do I make sure that whatever is
> dependent on the first install of TCL can actually use the second (as in,
> it knows where it is?)  And also, what's the safest way to force a deinstall?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> John

Hi

As far as I know the when installing a newer pkg version it will just
overwrite files in the older version, And should cause no harm. However
If you try to delete the older version of a pkg you will in effect
remove the newer files from the new pkg. The only way I see to get
around this is force the pkg to be removed with pkg_delete -f
"name_of_pkg" and reinstalling. However In some cases you might need all
three versions. The best way to check is cd /usr/port/what_ever/pkg and
examine the file PLIST this will give you a list of all the files
installed and there location. By comparing these you can determine if it
is safe to remove the old versions as they will have the same file
locations. On my system pkg_info reports several versions of the same
package. This can also happen when installing a new pkg, when It needs a
newer version of a pkg already installed. It would be nice if there
some way of cleaning up older versions of pkgs when they are not needed
without reinstalling.

regards,

Dave