Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2001 11:06:19 -0400
From:      "Victor Kane" <vk@vkci.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <inquiries@windriver.com>, <support@windriver.com>
Subject:   Oracle!

	Guys, it's a shame to see FreeBSD where it is vs. where it
should and could be. I have to put up with surrogate like Linux when
my client can't pay for a Sun box to run Oracle server.
	The only reason it has gotten such a momentum in the industry
is because of it's easier setup and better hardware support - at least
in the early days. But then the Big Business ported their apps to it
and something that never should have - did take off.
	My question to you is two-fold: 1) If dummies run the industry
and TCO rules why not let them have it? Idiot oriented default setup
plus support for all major brands of components. 2) It does not take
much more then ./configure; make; to port Oracle source to FreeBSD.
This would earn FreeBSD a huge credit in CTOs' eyes - the one it
deserves so much. Why not talk Larry into this? He's an adventurous
guy and will bite the thing dead after you show him the bench marks!

It hurts me seeing it stock at web servers! I am ready to pay $200
an hour support rates - if I have to! Just give me a reason.
	It'll be still better TCO vs. Sun. It's just a shame I can't
have it.
	If the project needs a "softer" start - other vendors may be
less cocky then Larry, Sybase, Informix - you know better than me...
what am I talking about...

	Victor Kane,
			 (aka: Oracle DBA/developer consultant and a very
			  frustrated FreeBSD project watcher).