Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:36:52 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libdisk Makefile chunk.c write_alpha_disk.c write_i386_disk.c write_pc98_disk.c

In message: <Pine.BSF.4.21.0210251230340.7147-100000@InterJet.elischer.org>
            Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> writes:
:
: On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Mark Valentine wrote:
:
: >
: > The GEOM naming scheme therefore removes my ability to specify the partition
: > in the most natural way for this platform.
: I dispute that.
: The install code has been using ad0s1a for about 5 years I think.
: Very few systems have ad0a in /etc/fstab as we specifically have been
: telling people to not do that for ages..

When this discussion began, it was not possible to recover from this
error, short of booting a nonGEOM kernel.  phk has fixed the -a code,
which is what the kernel uses when it can't find the device specified
in the fstab.  At least you'd be able to get to single user and fix
fstab now.

So even if people had these, they would be able to fix them when they
went old kernel -> new kernel (or back out to old kernel and fix them
in multi-user).

Warner