Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2001 10:13:37 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Majordomo Hacking?

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 07:11:17PM -0500, Jon Loeliger wrote:

> Here's what I think is happening:
>
> Someone sends a message that looks sort of like base64 encoding
> to majordomo@uncommoncon.com.  Majordomo tries to interpret
> all that junk as commands, and fails a lot.  Somehow, some
> m636614464@hotmail.com address ends up being the recipient
> and fails to get delivered.  It bounces back to Majordomo,
> where I get it as the sorry sysadmin.  It then gets forwarded
> to me at jdl.com where I'm reading things.
>
> Mystery questions:
>
>     How does m636614464@hotmail.com end up a recipient?
>     Who's doing this, and how can I knee-cap them?

That hotmail address emailed some rubbish to majordomo. Majordomo
couldn't understand it as being majordomo commands, so it sent the
hotmail person a helpful email. That helpful email did not succeed,
(probably because the spammer's mailbox filled up) so it was returned
to sender. That sender name had been given by majordomo as
owner-majordomo, i.e. you. No big deal.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-