Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2005 22:25:49 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        mike@ascendency.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Incorrect geometry

Mike Loiterman wrote:

>When I do a new install of FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE I get an error saying the
>drive geometry is incorrect.  In the next screen, I put in the correct
>geometry, as reported by the BIOS, but after I hit q, I get the same error.
>
>The drive is a brand new 160 SATA Segate.  The geometry FreeBSD suggests
>yield 152 Gigs, slices correctly and functions perfectly.  I'm plannning on
>reformating anyway as this is only a test run, but do I need to be
>conserned about the error?

Isn't the rest of the error message "using a more likely geometry?"

IANAE, but I believe FBSD is simply stating that it doesn't find
the BIOS's numbers to be what it wants, so it's going to use
its own.  This would explain the effect you see in the second
sentence above.

As "yield", "slice", and "function" seems OK, I think "go for it!"
is perfectly good advice in this instance.  I've seen the error
several times, too, and so far so good.

I am willing to be corrected by my betters, though, of course.

Kevin Kinsey