Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:46:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        mark.ovens@uk.radan.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running shell commands in Emacs

   Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 15:17:39 +0000
   From: Mark Ovens <mark.ovens@uk.radan.com>

   Lowell Gilbert wrote:

   > Mark Ovens <mark.ovens@uk.radan.com> writes:
   >
   > > Is it possible to run a shell command from within emacs and have the
   > > output written to the current buffer at the cursor position, as the ex
   > > command ``r!'' in vi?, which is useful for adding the output of ``uname
   > > -a'' or ``dmesg'' into an e-mail, for instance.
   > >
   > > I know there is ``shell-command'' but that writes the output to a new
   > > buffer (*Shell Command Output*) so you then have to cut 'n' paste.
   >
   > If you specify the (optional) second parameter to shell-command, the
   > output will be inserted in the current buffer.  "C-u shell-command"

   Where do I type that? You need to run "M-x shell-command", then enter the
   command at the "Shell command: " prompt. I didn't think it was possible to
   enter the second parameter when running interactively.

Oops.  Typo on my part -- "C-u M-x shell-command" will work.  Sorry
about that.

And, of course, as you correctly imply, writing a wrapper function for
shell-command to do this by default is a pretty simple matter (it
would be trivial, except for the interactive behaviour of prompting
for the command).

Another approach I've used, when I didn't necessarily want all of the
command's output, is to use a keyboard macro to go to the shell output
buffer, kill some of the output from there, switch back to the
original buffer, and yank it into the spot where I wanted it.

 - Lowell