Date:      Fri, 21 Sep 2001 09:47:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Daniel Guetzkow <dguetzkow@yahoo.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sendmail question

Thanks to Christian's fine help, I got the server online.
(see www.compassioncenter.org - we hope to help Pentagon attack family
survivors and others with bereavement support over the long term)

New problem:
I installed FreeBSD 4.2 from disks and now have a sendmail problem.
I continue to get the following message from an outside mail client:

<daniel@compassioncenter.org>:
199.34.53.178 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 <daniel@compassioncenter.org>... Relaying
denied Giving up on 199.34.53.178.

The server thinks it is "compassion.joss.com" at 199.34.53.178
I put a "Dcompassion.joss.com" record and
"DMcompassioncenter.org" record into /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
and "compassioncenter.org" into /etc/sendmail.cw and linked that file
/etc/mail/sendmail.cw and then rebooted. it is owned by root/wheel
and is -rw-r--r--

rc.conf says
sendmail_enable="YES"
sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m"

sendmail seems to route mail inside of itself, from one local user to
another. I am getting Charlie root reports using the aliases file OK --
it is routing those over to my outside mailbox.

It is receiving mail from outside addressed to
daniel@compassion.joss.com.

But it isn't masquerading correctly.

and why doesn't it call itself "compassion.joss.com"? I thought the D
record did that? it called itself 199.34.53.178