Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 2001 17:24:25 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Duraid <latif2221@home.com>
Cc:        mij@osdn.com, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: freebsd and kde

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 04:38:34PM +0000, Duraid wrote:

> you mean everything that is compiled from source is 100% compatible
> with freebsd?

If it is compiled on a FreeBSD system, yes.

> then what does it mean writing application for linux?

I am not sure what you mean here but it could mean that the main
development is done on Linux systems.  That does not however mean that
the code will not compile and run on other systems.  In the case of KDE
for instance they try to make the code as portable as possible.  There
are cases however where software authors, usually companies, only make
their Linux version available as a binary.  This means they do not
provide the source code so that it can not be compiled on other systems.
This is the software that you run with the Linux compatibility layer
with FreeBSD.

> and does freebsd differs from linux only by the kernel, ie it uses the
> same libraries and compilers?

The kernel is of course different, the C library is different (glibc
in Linux).  Other libraries may be the same at the source level but of
course are compiled for the appropriate system.  Note that this is a
broad oversimplification.  The situation is somewhat similar with the
compiler.  The C compiler on my FreeBSD system is gcc version 2.95.2
19991024 (release).  I guess most Linux distros are using some version of
2.9x but again they are each compiled for the appropriate environment.

> then why do they call the applications ports.. doesn't porting an
> application mean modifying the source to suite the operating system?

Yes.  If you look at a typical port in the FreeBSD ports collection
you will find patches that are applied to the original source to make
necessary changes to get the software to compile and/or run properly
on FreeBSD.  I believe that if you poke inside of a Linux SRPM file
you will find the same situation, patches that are applied against
the original source to get it to work properly with that particular
distribution.

Hope this helps.

--
Glenn Johnson