Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 12:49:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Kirk R. Wythers" <kwythers@forestry.umn.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my hardware not listed in userconfig menue

On 1 Feb 2002, Kirk R. Wythers wrote:

> I need some advice concerning the userconfig menue. After going into the
> visual mode kernel config menue I see several conflicts. However, very
> little of my hardware is listed. For example my adaptec 7890 scsi
> controller is not listed (instead I see adaptec 154x and 152x), neither
> is my 3com 905b network card. I am a little nervous about removing all
> the network cards that are conflicting without leaving one of them (even
> though it may not be the card on my system). Same issue with the scsi
> controller. There are no conflicts, but neither of the adaptec cards is
> the 7890 that is on my system. Should I remove, not leaving a scsi
> controller? or should I leave alone even though neither is my card? and
> hope that my hardware is found later in the install process...

Most of the devices that show up in the configuration screen are ISA
devices or other non PnP devices.  If you've got a newer system with PCI
SCSI and network cards, you won't need anything selected in the network or
controllers sections.

You should remove all devices you know you don't have on your system,
since some of the driver probes can cause systems to lock up if the
devices are not installed.

--
Matt Emmerton