Date:      Sat, 02 Dec 2000 00:20:01 +0000
From:      Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <gustavo@ifour.com.br>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: web monitoring system

Cliff Sarginson wrote:

> Mmmm.
> This is a fairly ambitious project :)
> Some questions:
> 1 - Can you already program in "C" or "perl", these are the two best
> choices (wait for contrary opinions !) for network programming.
> 2 - Do you know what sockets are ?

1) I can code in C! I only code in C! I known nothing about perl.
2) I known nothing about sockets!

> If yes and yes. I would if I were you start off by writing some
> simple socket programs. This will give you a good appreciation of
> TCP/IP issues (and is very satsifying).
> Write a simple client/server program pair that will copy files
> from one system to another, that's a good exercise.

i took down your suggestion!

> Remember RFC are semi-formal protocol specifications, they don;t write
> the code !

Yeah! I known, But i believe it will be necessary to read some RFC! I
have doubts like: How the web server detects it is receving a data from
a form ?

May you point me some source of information!

> The very best book on this kind of thing is Unix Network Programming, by ..??
> Cannot remember his name. It used to be in 1 edition, now it is in 2 I
> believe. It is INCREDIBLY expensive (at least in Holland where I live). But
> it is just about all you will ever need to know, and is real world stuff.

I will buy it! Any other suggestion?

> Good Luck.
> Post your progress :)

I will, as soon as i can!