Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 15:23:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Leaving OS at 1.1.5.1 (was Re: BSDvs Lxxxxx Flame.. )

As Gary Roberts wrote:

> J Wunsch writes:
>
> > No, this machine is still on 1.1.5.1.  And will remain so, i think.
>
> May I ask why, in particular?

It basically boils down to: ``Never change a running system''.

The machine does its job very well (a corporate NFS server, also modem
server, though not heavy-loaded), there are only two known problems
(the systems suffers from a hanging sio bug every now and then, since
the Tx buffer empty bit will never be set, and it might hang this
early version of the ncr driver when doing tape opertions with the
wrong blocksize).  The usual uptimes of this machine range above 100
days.

I've left the company last year, so there's now nobody who would be
willing to actually do an upgrade anyways.  The company is small
enough to not worry being sued by USL/Novell/SCO/<insert today's owner
here>. :-)

> Up until very recently I had never bothered `net-surfing' but when I loaded
> one of the 2.1.0 SNAP's on another machine at work, I decided to run the
> BSDI netscape 2.0b3 on the other machine, displaying on my external 17"
> monitor.

Ahh, netcrap.  It's a known VM hog.  You're suffering from the
infamous ``swap leak''.  I think there has been a workaround for it in
1.1.5.1, but it looks like it doesn't help for you.  The problem has
been eliminated in FreeBSD 2 by the VM gurus, so upgrading might be a
real chance for you.

--
cheers, J"org