Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:10:48 -0400
From:      Andy Harrison <aharrison@gmail.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: HPA LCD for X?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:42:24 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:

>         Fellow BSDers,
>
>         A friend here in Seattle offered to sell his IBM laptop
>         for $100.  It needs a new CDROM drive and I don't think it
>         has a NIC.  I've been poking around the web and found that
>         ebay has several Thinkpad 1400s.
>
>         i'M planning on using the 'festival' text-to-speech
>         synthesizer.  Having X would be  a plus, not a necessity.
>         One of the Thinkpad-1400s says its screen is "HPA LCD".
>
>         Two questions:  does X11 4.x work with this type of display?
>         Also: are there any other (low-cost/used) laptops worth
>         considering?  I do like that stick  mouse gadget.
>
>         feedback?
>
>         thanks,
>
>         gary
>
>         PS: This latop will have limited used, not heavy, daily
>             pounding.

I had a Thinkpad 600e (366mhz) for quite a while.  Loaded up with
296MB of RAM it was actually quite functional.  Although it had a
crappy sound card, it worked without any headaches.  I did an ftp
install, too, so you wouldn't even need the cd to at least get up and
running, as long as it has the floppy.

--
Andy Harrison