Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 15:19:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Pentium Bug: BSDI Releases a patch (fwd)

On Thu, 13 Nov 1997, Christopher Masto wrote:

> I wish I knew (not that I have much Intel knowledge beyond 8086).  I
> do know that I'm glad we didn't cancel our K6 order upon seeing that
> there appears to be an emerging software workaround.  Two things still
> make me nervous (both "seen on the net" but unconfirmed): someone said
> that BSDI's patch is now listed as "unavailable", and someone else
> said that their Linux system still locked up after applying the patch.
> Maybe it doesn't work in all cases.  :-/

If it locks up computers, that's probably why they decided to pull the
patch, which may or may not be available on uu.net's mirror.  However
there's still one sure fire fix that will work, and that is to disable the
L1 cache.  Sure it'll run slow as heck, but that should grant you some
immunity.

- alex