Date:      Tue, 02 Jun 2009 16:44:37 +0300
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass9573@gmx.com>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, 000.fbsd@quip.cz
Subject:   Re: ZFS NAS configuration question

sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
>> root filesystem is remounted read write only for some configuration
>> changes, then remounted back to read only.
>
> Does this work reliably for you? I tried doing the remounting trick,
> both for root and /usr, back in the 4.x time frame. And could never
> get it to work - would always end up with inconsistent file systems.

There were many fixes in this area lately. The case where a
file system with softdeps would fail to update to read-only
is fixed in -CURRENT and these changes are merged to -STABLE.
It is believed to work correctly.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-October/046001.html

Remounting with soft updates enabled used to be too
fragile to be useful. Now it seems very solid.

Nikos