Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 19:12:24 +0200
From:      Munish Chopra <chopra@runbox.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preliminary Tuning man page (was Re: Benchmarking FreeBSD (was ...))

On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:50:32AM -0400, Michael Adler wrote:
> Thank you for the tuning page!  I and, I fear, others made the mistake of
> assuming that because SOFTUPDATES is in the kernel that it is automatically
> enabled for the disks.  Nothing printed during boot leads me to believe
> otherwise and no mention was made of checking the flag using tunefs in
> /usr/src/UPDATING.  My drives formatted with standard methods in the past
> had soft updates disabled.

Same thing happened to me. I figured it was in the kernel, so it was
'on'.

> Perhaps there should be a message somewhere prominent encouraging people to
> check whether their drives really have soft updates enabled.  It would also
> be useful if something during boot showed whether a mount would be using
> soft updates.

It would be nice if there was a boot message saying 'Soft Updates
On/Off'. Would have helped me, at least (no, I haven't mounted from the
command line lately).

BTW, I haven't turned on soft updates on the root partition, though I
know it's possible. Is there any reason to do so (a compelling one), or
am I maybe even better off leaving that alone?

--
-Munish