Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:31:22 +0100
From:      Fleuriot Damien <ml@my.gd>
To:        mexas@bristol.ac.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cannot ssh into a box with DHCP assigned IP address

On Feb 20, 2013, at 10:28 AM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk> =
wrote:

> I have a laptop with FreeBSD -current,
> with ip address assigned via DHCP.
> The laptop has neither a static ip address,
> nor a domain.
>=20
> I can ping the laptop fine, but cannot
> ssh into it. The sshd is running, /etc/ssh/ssd_config
> seems fine, /etc/hosts.allow is fine.
> However, /etc/hosts is just the default:
>=20
> #
> ::1                     localhost localhost.my.domain
> 127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.my.domain
> #
>=20
> Is it the lack of a domain that prevents
> me from getting ssh access?
> I try to ssh with just a dynamic ip address,
> for which ping seems to work fine.
> Or is the problem somewhere else?
>=20
> I'm not even sure I'm asking the right
> questions.
>=20
> Thanks
>=20
> Anton

First, check what ports SSH listens on:
sockstat | grep ssh

Then, assuming SSH indeed listens on *:22 , check if you have a firewall =
running that could be preventing packets from reaching your box.

By the way, do you get a login prompt at all, over SSH, or just a plain =
timeout or connection reset ?