Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:53:30 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wavelan and freebsd

Cristhian Venegas <cvb@deltron.net> wrote:

> Can two freeBSD 4.2 Boxes talk with BSS protocol using wavelan adpaters?

     What do you mean by "BSS mode"?  FreeBSD support BSS clients, but
you can't (yet?) make a FreeBSD BSS access point.  You can use ad-hoc
mode to make an ad-hoc (not BSS) "access point", where this ad-hoc
"access point" would act as a simple gateway/router in an ad-hoc
peer-to-peer network.

> I'm working with a freeBSD box and two windows machines in a peer to
> peer network and all works fine (I'm not using an Access Point), but
> when I tried with a second freeBSD Box the second one can not see the
> first one, but the windows machines can see the two freeBSD boxes

     What do you mean by "see"?  If, by "see", you mean that the
Windows WaveManager software can detect the FreeBSD boxes, that may not
mean a whole lot.  Can the Windows boxes actually communicate (e.g.,
telnet, ftp, etc.) with the FreeBSD boxes?

> Is it possible work with two wavelan NIC in the same FreeBSD box ?

     Yes, *IF* you have sufficient free resources.  Note that each
WaveLan card will require an IRQ (you'll need two), and most PCs will
probably be hard-pressed for IRQs.  You'll probably have to reconfigure
the pcic devices to use polling mode (instead of using IRQs).  You'll
also have to make sure that /etc/pccard.conf correctly lists any free
resources.

> When I Tried i get this error when the system see the second wavelan NIC
>
> "pccardd[47]: No free configuration for card Lucent: Technologies "

     It looks like you don't have sufficient free resources, or you need
to reconfigure the box to get more free resources.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com