Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 09:50:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: trap12: page fault

On 03-May-01 Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> /sys from cvsup around 2pm CEST from cvsup3.de.freebsd.org (contains
> npx.c fix).

> fault virtual address = 0x54
> fault code = supervisor read, page not present
> instruction pointer = 0x8:0xc01de7c3
> stack pointer = 0x10:0xd51cfd98
> frame pointer = 0x10:0xd51cfd98
> code segment = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>   = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
> processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process = 6 (sh)
> trap number = 12
> panic: page fault
> syncing disks...
>
> No syncing of the disks happens, no coredump (dump device not configured
> at this stage), hangs hard (need to press the reset button) after
> printing "syncing disks...". Happens after printing "Routing Daemons:.",
> before "Additional daemons: syslogd."
>
> It showed up the first time after the "eats FFS partitions for
> breakfast" problem was fixed. I already removed
> /sys/compile/<kernel_name>, so it didn't seems to be a stale object
> file.
>
> dmesg from a working kernel and kernel config attached.

Can you get a trace next time via the 'trace' command?  The virtual fault
address indicates a likely NULL pointer dereference.  Also, have you built your
kernel with debug symnbols (config -g or makeoptions DEBUG=-g do this)?  If so,
can you go to /sys/compile/<kernel_name>, run 'gdb -k kernel.debug' and then
type 'l *0xc01de7c3' to see what source line it panic'd at?  You may not need
the '*' char in that.  Thanks.