Date:      Tue, 02 Oct 2001 11:14:48 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        Dennis.Berger@nipsi.de, patrick@stealthgeeks.net
Cc:        mvh@ix.netcom.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dirpref gives massive performance boost

> I'd love to hear any reports from folks running the dirpref code on any
> sort of RAID'd devices (vinum, DPT, Adaptec, etc.) or comments from those
> in the know as to whether such marked speedup can be expected.

I'm running it on a RAID 0 arrangement at home - Compaq SMART-2SL controller
and a pair of 4.3GB UW drives. Cant remember what the stripe size is off the
top of my heead. I did a recreate of my /usr/ports tree last night (
my ports ports.old, then tar -> untar and delete the old one) but I havent
subjectively noticed any speedup as yet. I am going to have a play around
tonight though and make somemeasurement. Will do the same recerate trick
with /usr/src and ssee what the times are to do a du and an rm on each
version of it afterwards (can anybody recommend a less crude method to measure
the access speed ?)

-pcf.