Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:41:04 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        scotty@klement.dstorm.net, The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMware networking (was: Slooow VMware on RELENG_4 SMP)

Thanks for your help . . .

I remembered why, in particular, I was trying to avoid having the guest
be just another node on the network, but rather wanted to do NATD or
whatever.  It came to me when I was making my guest into a regular DHCP
client (which I'm trying anyway just to see if I can get BRIDGE or
NETGRAPH working that way).  It's because I have a VPN tunnel into work
under FreeBSD and I want for the guest packets to be able to hitch a
ride there if they are going there, or to go out of eth0.  In short, I
really want for the vmware guest to somehow go through whatever routing
I have set up by the host, automatically.

Since the exact same addresses are sometimes served up to the host via
DHCP and other times set up as a ppp over ethernet, it's confusing.
However, I could solve this by making the VMware use DHCP all the time,
I suppose, and let the host run a DHCP server just to serve the info to
the guest.  The static subnet approach seemed simpler.

I did *not* have the VPN stuff working under Linux (I could never get it
working there, in fact; it was a prime motivation to swtich to FreeBSD)
even for the host, so I never got far enough to have an issue with VPN
and the guest; the setup was anticipating this as a problem, though.

With kernel BRIDGE support enabled and vmware set to DHCP, the vmware
Win98se guest gets a DHCP address of 169.252.97.50.  I have no idea
where that comes from

Having tried that without success, I've now deinstalled the old vmware2
port (vmware2-2.0.3.799) and reinstalled the new one
(vmware2-2.0.3.799_1).

There is still no "linprocfs.sh" in my /usr/local/etc/rc.d directory.
However, a "df" shows that I do, in fact, have a linprocfs running, for
whatever reason.

I'm just guessing here, but I bet that rtc.sh is for the RTC device,
which works ok but I've been regularly disabling when vmware came up
anyway, to avoid pegging the CPU at 100%.  Will it matter for
networking?

I'll build & install a kernel with the bridging removed so that I can
have a clean trial for the vmware netgraph code.  As I said, it worked
for me once.  Maybe I can repeat my good fortune consistently.

I'll post with the results.

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org