Date:      Wed, 02 Mar 2005 22:36:14 -0500
From:      Stefan Seefeld <seefeld@sympatico.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        seefeld@sympatico.ca
Subject:   Re: where is autoconf

Hi Thomas,

 > Did you install any of these ports of autoconf?

yes, autoconf-2.59_2 is currently installed.

 > Remember the ports tree is a skeleton of potential applications you can
 > install, they are not the actual installed apps themselves.. be sure and
 > read the Ports/Packages section of the handbook :
 >
 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

" A pkg-plist file. This is a list of all the files that will be installed by the port. It also
tells the ports system what files to remove upon deinstallation."

Well, I was looking for 'autoconf' in these files but didn't find it.
And indeed, even though I have 'autoconf-2.59_2' installed, all I have
is 'autoconf259', but not 'autoconf'.

 > What are you attempting to install that requires autoconf?

I'm trying to compile my own code, and my build system has a toplevel 'autogen.sh'
file that runs 'autoconf' in a number of places.

Regards,
		Stefan