Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 19:40:02 +0300
From:      "Artem Koutchine" <matrix@gerpa.ru>
To:        "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: VMWare for FreeBSD?

[snip][snip][snip][snip][snip][snip][snip][snip]

Well, Let me make this clear. IMHO
Server OS MUST
1) BE Reliable
2) Comply to all aplicable standards

Workstation MUST
1) BE VERSATILE
2) be reliable

At least, that is what i need from a server and
from a workstation. As a server FreeBSD is absolitely
GREAT, but as a workstation it is not enough versatile.
It is a problem not only for FreeBSD, but for all Un*x systems,
however, it is clear to me that Linux is MORE versatile, but LESS
reliable. Again, because of the original support from software
creators.

You say, that you have happily "ported" a buch of user to FreeBSD.
Well, i am glad to hear that, but it is hardly possible for me. I still
need Windows  because
    1) I need adobe photoshop (not GIMP, i need PHOTOSHOP, besides,
        wile working in KDE loading the libs for GIMP and the loading
        the libs for Netscape is just a waste of memory).
    2) I need ulead web and graphics utilities
    3) I need Microsoft office (yes, i just need it, because the people i work
        with use it and i must stay compatible)
    4) Sometimes I like to play games, i kinda start to get bored playing
        games in VICE and XZX :)
    5) Sometimes i need normal russian language support (ispell is
        pityful)

If i had the same package for FreeBSD i will gladly format all my HDDs with
Winbloze, but i hardly have a choice.

Well, basically what i am saying is that FreeBSD still has a long way to go
be become a good workstation for anyone. Mostly because amount of
workstation software made for FreeBSD or which ported fort FreeBSD is
not very impressive comparing to software made for Win/Mac and it is
even less comparing to Linux.

I cannot be wrong here. I think it should be clear to anyone.