Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2006 11:30:26 -1000
From:      "David J. Orman" <ormandj@corenode.com>
To:        akachler@telcom.net
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pf/altq

> Thank you for your response David.
> We basically need to limit the bandwidth of each one of our
> customers
> based on what they have contracted. Some customers have simple,
> mostly
> web traffic, while some others have very complex patterns with lots
> of
> DNS/mail/web/ssh/etc.

>From what you are describing, it sounds doable with decent hardware. It's certainly worth a shot, pf/altq is fairly easy to work with, and shouldn't take you more than a few hours to get FreeBSD installed, the network configured, the rules in place, and the traffic shaping going. Tons of howtos all over the net. I used the OpenBSD documentation on PF to get myself going, from what I remember.

> But your telling me that sustained 80Mbps is possible tells me that
> it
> is a robust system.

Like most things coming from the OpenBSD project, I think "robust" accurate describes it. I just had issues with hardware reliability, I couldn't do N+1 redundancy on all parts like I can with hardware routers. BGP/etc was also a mess to work with, so for my situation it was better to go the HW route. That said, I did very much like the flexibility of having a general purpose machine/OS - it allowed me to do some creative things that I might be limited on with the pure HW solutions from the likes of Cisco/Juniper/etc.

> We haven't even started testing, but your response gives us the
> confidence to at least spend the time testing.

Great! I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

> Thanks again David.

Anytime!

Cheers,
David