Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 09:45:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@critter.tfs.com, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   Re: calcru: negative time:

> It (actually failing of a more complete test in mi_switch()) seems
> to be connected with doing a bunch of disk accesses after the system
> has been idle for some time.  I suspect vm.  I didn't like changing
> splimp() in vm to splhigh().

If there are some times where splhigh() is on for too long, that needs
to be changed (we aren't using another interlock mechanism when we
should be.)  Splhigh is correct for it's intended purpose -- lock out
ANY other access to the VM data structures.  Splimp is just a hack in
it's own right implying that the networking code is the ONLY code in the
system that needs potentially concurrent access -- and that is potentially
NOT true.

John