Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 18:12:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slices & Partitions

---Antonio Bemfica <bemfica@militzer.me.tuns.ca> wrote:

> What would be the advantage (if any) of dividing a drive into
different
> slices and then each slice in different partitions in oposition to
having
> one single slice (with all the partitions)? I understand the need
for it
> if there is a second operating system, but is there any point in
having
> multiple slices if all I'm running is FreeBSD? Will it be easier to
> recover from a crash, for example?

Yes that would be one reason, that way only one file system gets
corrupted.
The other reason is flexibility, you can pick which file system you
want to have on a given slice/partition.

> In an attempt to answer my onw question (this is another question in
> disguise), would it make sense to have a spare root system on a second
> slice (is it possible?),

Yes and No.

> just in case you ever have problems with your
> main root partition (or is a fixit floppy just as effective?).

Instead of keeping another root partition, or any other partition for
that matter, what you should do is simply back up and existing one.
You do not have to have a tape drive in order to back up your data,
simply tar all the stuff you want saved and then compress it (or gzip
it or whatever) and move the zipped tarball somewhere to a separate
slice of course :-)