Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2013 03:14:52 -0700
From:      Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=E9?= <roger.pau@citrix.com>
Cc:        xen-users <xen-users@lists.xen.org>, "freebsd-xen@freebsd.org" <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Xen-users] Trouble booting FreeBSD i386 PV DomU

On 03/26/13 03:10, Roger Pau Monn=E9 wrote:=0D
> On 26/03/13 10:38, Colin Percival wrote:=0D
>> On 03/26/13 02:31, Roger Pau Monn=E9 wrote:=0D
>>> Is Xen i386 PV broken?=0D
>>=0D
>> Not completely broken, but it's certainly not in a good state.  I believ=
e=0D
>> it's broken with SMP, for example -- if the "crashed on cpu#7" in your=
=0D
>> output means cpu#7 from the guest, it would certainly explain things.=0D
> =0D
> My guest only has one vcpu (vcpu#0):=0D
=0D
Ok, I wasn't sure how to parse that output.=0D
=0D
>> HVM is the way to go with FreeBSD/Xen.=0D
> =0D
> Yes, I'm already working on that, and got vector callbacks working on=0D
> both i386 and amd64 HVM guests, thanks to Justin T. Gibbs patch. Now I=0D
> was trying to boot a PV guest to see how much breakage this change=0D
> introduced to PV, but I'm not able to make it work, even without my patch=
es.=0D
> =0D
> I've replied to this xen-users thread because the author seem to have a=
=0D
> working FreeBSD DomU PV guest, and I was wondering how he did it. From=0D
> my POV it seems like PV guests hasn't been working for a long time,=0D
> since Xen 3.3 dropped support for non-PAE guests, and the FreeBSD kernel=
=0D
> is detected as non-PAE.=0D
=0D
I had FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE and a 9.0-CURRENT @ January 2011 running with PV=
=0D
in EC2 (http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-on-ec2/, look for "t1.micro=0D
instances only") and that used PAE.  But it's entirely likely that somethin=
g=0D
got broken in the past two years and nobody noticed because nobody ever use=
s=0D
PV...=0D
=0D
-- =0D
Colin Percival=0D
Security Officer Emeritus, FreeBSD | The power to serve=0D
Founder, Tarsnap | www.tarsnap.com | Online backups for the truly paranoid=
=0D