Date:      Wed, 2 Mar 2005 19:41:41 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Stefan Seefeld <seefeld@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: where is autoconf

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:36:14PM -0500, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>=20
>=20
> > Did you install any of these ports of autoconf?
>=20
> yes, autoconf-2.59_2 is currently installed.
>=20
> > Remember the ports tree is a skeleton of potential applications you can
> > install, they are not the actual installed apps themselves.. be sure and
> > read the Ports/Packages section of the handbook :
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.h=
tml
>=20
> " A pkg-plist file. This is a list of all the files that will be installe=
d=20
> by the port. It also tells the ports system what files to remove upon=20
> deinstallation."
>=20
> Well, I was looking for 'autoconf' in these files but didn't find it.
> And indeed, even though I have 'autoconf-2.59_2' installed, all I have
> is 'autoconf259', but not 'autoconf'.

This is necessary because the autoconf developers don't understand why
backwards compatibility is important for their tools (new versions
like 2.59 cannot be used to build old applications that were written
for e.g. 2.13, nor can multiple versions of autoconf be easily
installed concurrently).

You can use the gnu-autoconf and related ports, which installs into
/usr/local/gnu-autotools so they do not poison the build environment
of other ports.  YOu might have to play games with PATH or other
variables to get your application to find them.

Kris
--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC

--wRRV7LY7NUeQGEoC--