Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:03:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@unix.tfs.net>
To:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Forward all spam to UCE@FTC.GOV

In reply:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
>
> > This sort of forwarding facility should be an option; do not make it
> > default!  FreeBSD is used not only in US, but also all over the world,
> > you know.  I don't think FTC would in any way like to deal with spams
> > outside of US.
>
> Besides which, if every freebsd machine had it turned on by default, the
> FTC would receive tens of thousands of copies of each spam (and all via
> automated delivery) so we would be in effect spamming them.  Let's not
> discourage them from having such an address because it gets mailbombed by
> freebsd hosts :).

please read my response to Alfred Perlstein.

i agreed with kazu that it should be an option.  an option that is
easily turned on.

the ftc did not ask for reduced data, and the goal here is to get
effective laws.  the only way to get effective laws is to do what they
ask.  if they walk into congress with a trillion forwarded messages
from a million pissed off people, how fast do you think something will
get done?

i still personally think that nothing will get done until the recall
votes start happening on congress, they already proved their lack of
integrity with the current spam law.

anyone who still believes in self-regulation is part of the problem.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or