Date:      Thu, 25 Aug 2011 11:20:42 -0700
From:      Xin LI <delphij@gmail.com>
To:        vadim_nuclight@mail.ru
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve

Hi, Vadim,

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Vadim Goncharov <vadim_nuclight@mail.ru> wrote:
> Hi Rick Macklem!
>
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:38:35 -0400 (EDT); Rick Macklem wrote about 'Re: FreeBSD problems and preliminary ways to solve':
>
>> One thing I thought I'd bring up (since I haven't seen it
>> mentioned yet) is Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. I haven't tried it,
>> so I'm talking through my hat a bunch, but...
>
>> It seems to me that FreeBSD should do what it can to support
>> this effort. Why? Well, I suspect a lot of why organizations
>
> No. FreeBSD has limited resources. We need to:
>
> a) fix our own problems
> b) develop our own unique features (see my message to Robert Watson)
>
> And supporting Debian will mean wasting resources which could be spent
> to these. This will effectively kill FreeBSD as a separate entity if
> our problems will stay unfixed and get worse due to this.
>
> Leave this work to Debian: they already have a wide community and many
> resources. Any Linux distro has more resources than BSD because they just
> only pack someone's software, and we have to also actually *develop* those
> software (most of all, kernel and libc).

I consider Debian GNU/kFreeBSD as a platform where we can see what the
actual {performance,functionality} difference between our code and GNU
ones, which is valuable.  Supporting their effort might be time
consuming and maybe not our priority, but it's good not to make their
work harder because more importantly, their existence gives us more
exposure and more eyes on our codebase as well.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net> https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve! Live free or die