Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 1996 21:32:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        james@miller.cs.uwm.edu (Jim Lowe)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6/14/96 kernel won't boot

Of all the gin joints in all the world, Jim Lowe had to walk into mine
and say:

> > From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
> >
> > > I picked up a new kernel this morning, remade it, and now my system
> > > won't boot with the new kernel.  The system booted just fine with a
> > > new kernel a day or so ago (6/12/96).
> >
> > Just out of curiousity, have you tried one without DEVFS?
> >

> Hmm... I think I have it figured out.  If you use the option
> NFS_NOSERVER, the system won't boot and dumps chow just as it
> is trying to start init.

Poul committed my patches to make NFS_NOSERVER work on my system -- I
asked for people to test them for me first so that I could commit them
later once I was sure they would work without making anything worse.
They went in some time last night. You might try backing them out to
see if the problem goes away. Look in nfs_socket.c for a function
called nfs_timer() and #ifdef it away. Do the same for the call
to nfs_timer() in the nfs_init() function, which appears in nfs_subs.c.
(Basically, just take nfs_timer() and the reference to it out of
the code.) This should negate the effect of my changes. If this
makes your kernel work again with the NFS_NOSERVER option, then
I screwed up somewhere. (Damned if I know where though.)

This is confusing since NFS_NOSERVER doesn't work at all on my system
without my hacks, and works perfectly with them. My configuration is
different than yours though.

- I don't use DEVFS.
- I have only an ISA bus.
- I have less RAM.
- I have no SCSI devices.
- I have only an 80386 CPU.
- It's an AMD CPU, not Intel.
- There's no hardware FPU.

Lastly, I'm running the machine completely diskless.

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager
License error: The license for this .sig file has expired. You must obtain
a new license key before any more witty phrases will appear in this space.