Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:27:59 +1100
From:      "Hallam Oaks" <mlnn4@oaks.com.au>
To:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Multi-terabyte disk farm

Thanks for all the advice. At the moment we're looking at a solution
involving Kingston enclosures and hot-swap trays, hooked up to 56 IBM
UltraStore 18.2gb HDD's. We'll be running these off two servers using
double-ended SCSI controllers in much the same way as the tertiary disk
project does. This gives us 1tb in a single rack ; we add new racks each
time we need a new terabyte.

We're taking a punt on drive prices going down and capacities going up
as we stock the farm over a period of two years to its final capacity
of 8tb.

We won't be using raid because (a) we don't care about speed, and (b) we
don't care if a drive dies and takes its data along with it. All data will
be backed up on AIT tape (shelved). This is a usable solution to us since
the type of data being stored is very static. It comes in one end, sits
there for two years, then is deleted. It doesn't change in the meantime,
and in fact it's likely that any drive with >6mo data on it will be spun
down.

If anyone's interested, and we go ahead with it, I'll let -hackers know
how much the thing ended up costing and how well it worked.

-- Chris