Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:31:22 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Powell <mark@ucsalf.ac.uk>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RARP and bootparamd per NetBSD [was Re: Root filesystem on NFS,          Linux style ???]

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> I must have missed the original email, I don't recall the subject.

Basically getting the kernel, if it has no rootfs to perform a RARP
request to get it's IP address. From NetBSD-current sys/nfs/nfs_boot.c:

/*
 * Support for NFS diskless booting, specifically getting information
 * about where to boot from, what pathnames, etc.
 *
 * This implememtation uses RARP and the bootparam RPC.
 * We are forced to implement RPC anyway (to get file handles)
 * so we might as well take advantage of it for bootparam too.
 *
 * The diskless boot sequence goes as follows:
 * (1) Use RARP to get our interface address
 * (2) Use RPC/bootparam/whoami to get our hostname,
 *     our IP address, and the server's IP address.
 * (3) Use RPC/bootparam/getfile to get the root path
 * (4) Use RPC/mountd to get the root file handle
 * (5) Use RPC/bootparam/getfile to get the swap path
 * (6) Use RPC/mountd to get the swap file handle
 *
 * (This happens to be the way Sun does it too.)
 */

> patches are most welcome of course.

Well... I have identified the section of code that needs working on, but
I've not modified a FreeBSD kernel, previously. It'll need some learning
curve climbing. Thought it might be elementary for one of the kernel aces
to slip in, between coffees, so to speak :)

> Poul-Henning
>
> In message <2624.836988855@time.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> >> Thus it's just the ability to fill-out it's own nfs_diskless struct that
> >> FreeBSD lacks.
> >>   Anyone know who to chat with regarding getting this put in the kernel?
> >
> >Well, there are probably at least 3 people who could do this, Martin
> >Renters, Poul-Henning Kamp and Garrett Wollman being names which most
> >quickly come to mind, but whether or not one of them actually finds
> >the time or inclination to do this after reading your posting to
> >-hackers is another thing.  To far better your odds, I'd suggest
> >culling out the changes from NetBSD and submitting them as context
> >diffs relative to the appropriate files in FreeBSD-current.  You can
> >submit them with send-pr (most recommended) or you can send them in an
> >email to committers@freebsd.org and plead for a reviewer. :-)
> >
> >					Jordan
>
> --
> Poul-Henning Kamp           | phk@FreeBSD.ORG       FreeBSD Core-team.
> http://www.freebsd.org/~phk | phk@login.dknet.dk    Private mailbox.
> whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
> Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.

Mark Powell - Senior Network Technician - Room: C806
Computer Services Unit, University College Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel:	+44 161 745 3376	Fax:	+44 161 736 3596
Email:	mark@ucsalf.ac.uk	finger mark@ucsalf.ac.uk (for PGP key)
<A HREF="http://www.ucsalf.ac.uk/~mark/">Home Page</A>