Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:04:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fortran 90 compiler/NAG libraries

Dear Sirs.

Since we use FreeBSD as our plattform here I ran into many problems
using f90 compilers. While Lahey's LF95 for Linux worked in FreeBSD
4.2 and up to 4.3-RC2, it has now several strange problems I con not
figure out. VAST F90 is no option due the fact it does not support
all F90 features. The main problem is that all compilers are for Linux
and has to be run in Linux emulation. But this offers much more problems
than expected - not served by FreeBSD, but by secondary libraries.

We need the NCAR Graphics library as well as several NAG libraries.
I read about a native FreeBSD NAG compiler, but the stupid policy of
NAG offers this compiler only for a fee of about 30 British Pounds for
the trial version - Linux version is free as many other versions for
trial :-(

I never successed in compiling NACRG libs on FreeBSD due sveral problems
with FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE (some scientists seem to have compiled the
libs prior in FBSD 4.2 successfuly). Instead, I use the Linux most
recent Linux libs but they have several problems with the Lahey compiler
(compiling with the VAST F90 is all right, but compiling code with Lahey
F90 produces errors, LF95's linker does not find the NCARG libs and reports
many errors). All the Linux tests were made in a chrooted Linux environment.

One of the most important dilemmas is the following:

Most scientific development is done with Linux and NAG libs. Therefore
most of my professors 'cry' for LinSux but I'm not willing to give up the
better plattform for only this small focus (a small focus, but a big effect!).

My question is the following (I'm not a compiler expert):

Imagine, I would like install a native NAG compiler (which is not the fastest
one like Lahey/Fujitsu) for FreeBSD, and the appropriate NAG libraries. Then
I have no NCARG libraries for FreeBSD due the fact that NCARG does not support
FreeBSD.
On the other hand, if I order all parts for Linux, I'm sure there will be problems
with the emulation, at least the debugger (Lahey's LF95 debugger is not working
properly under the emulation, PGI debugger also seems to have problems, it crashes
many times I tried to use it). The alternative will be to support here a Linux server
architecture for all purposes - but I don't want to face the NFS performance, the
network speed and other 'goodies' of Linux.

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)