Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 16:29:36 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Hetzels@aol.com, rkw@dataplex.net
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup release identity

On Oct 8, 12:01pm, Hetzels@aol.com wrote:
} In a message dated 97-10-08 11:26:45 EDT, rkw@dataplex.net writes:

} >  Further, I would phase out the "stable" and "current"
} >  mailing lists in favor of lists designated by the particular branch's
} >  numeric name.
}
} I would leave the mailing lists alone.  Why, because as users transition from
} one branch to the next (2.1 -> 2.2 -> 3.0), the number of individuals to help
} solve problems will decrease in the older mailing lists.  Plus, it forces
} users to unsubscribe/resubscribe to the mailing lists (for example a user
} upgrades to 2.2 form 2.1. He then needs to unsubscribes from the 2.1 mailing
} list and is forced to resubscribe to 2.2.). Besides, the same questions will
} be asked in multiple mailing lists, instead of just in one (stable). Also,
} the development team dosen't have to track 3+ mailing lists, only 2).

I'd keep the "current" mailing list, since there's always one of those,
but I'd phase out the "stable" list.  The problem is that there are currently
two -stable branches and:

	When people post to the -stable list, they say they are running
	-stable, and their problem is ...  It can sometimes take a while
	to figure out which -stable branch they're talking about.

	I'm currently following 2.1-stable, so all the folks who start
	using FreeBSD 2.2.x probably don't want my messages about 2.1
	cluttering their inbox.

	As the number of users of 2.1 decrease, the traffic on it's list
	would also decrease, reducing the incentive for experienced users
	to unsubscribe.

The only issue I see is how to populate the new list that is created
when a branch is added.  Probably the best thing to do is to announce
the creation of the new list and let folks decide whether they want to
subscribe or not.

			---  Truck