Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 1998 08:29:55 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amanda port, empty PATCH_STRIP= lines causes trouble

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, John Polstra wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.980119014033.14512A-100000@lsd.relcom.eu.net>,
> =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?=  <ache@nagual.pp.ru> wrote:
>
> > The first reason of "unfixing" was that standard ncurses patches
> > set applies cleanly on all systems excepting FreeBSD (which have
> > abnormal "fixed" patch).
>
> Come on, Andrey, the new patch has broken a sizeable portion of the
> ports tree just to fix ncurses, which IMHO is broken itself.

AGAIN READ THE FIRST LINE OF MY MESSAGE I NOT TALK YET ABOUT -CURRENT NEW
PATCH HERE AT ALL!

HERE IS THAT LINE FROM MY MESSAGE TOGETHER WITH ONE ABOUT -CURRENT:
>> Lets consider -stable you care about. If both CVS diff change and patch
>> I think situation with -current will be more clear when this issue will
>> be resolved first somehow.

> When another one comes in, then we'll have two.  Currently, we have a
> lot more broken ports than that, all as a result of this change.

As constructive move I suggest special filter to detect wrongly generated
patches by comparing (Index and ---/*** lines) and convert them on the fly
or call _special_ version of patch upon them.

BUT NOT BROKE PROGRAMS IN CHAIN MODE!

> > I especially wonder why you not say something when patch was "fixed"
> > first and new CVS imported.
>
> Sometimes the consequences of a change aren't obvious until it's been
> made.  This one is bad news.  A lot of people are complaining about
> it.  I wish you'd just back it out until a better solution can be
> found.

I not complain about sneaked bugs (it is normal) but about UNWILLING TO
REMOVE THEM THEN with functionality arguments. See my "filter" proposal
above as sa olution.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nietzsche.net>