Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 20:01:18 -0700
From:      Ed Hudson <elh_fbsd@spnet.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: general speed differences between 4.1.1-RELEASE and 4.3-RELEASE

> I doubt FreeBSD would need to enable write caching in order
> to be as fast as Linux (which doesn't have write caching

	i spoke too harshly.
	what i meant to show is that interactive performance
	is compromised under load with soft updates enabled
	(although soft updates clearly speed up some general tasks and
	accelerate some tasks considerably).  i also i wanted
	to show that hw.ata.wc=0 has 3-7x impact on fast hardware,
	which is a much larger impact than almost any other single
	parameter.

	i had seen soft updates as a justification of turning
	ata.wc off (later education on my part by the memebers of
	hackers has broadened my understanding of the motivation).
	i suspect that this issue was well hashed out in this news
	group when i wasn't tracking the stream.

	i use freebsd to help design the chips that i work on, and
	i've always relied on and been impressed by its ability to
	perform well handling large cad programs -
	so i was just surprised at the sudden change in this default
	behavior re hw.ata.wc=0.  clearly, this was just ignorance
	on my part, and i suspect had i looked more closely at the
	release notes i would have just turned this parameter on,
	kept soft-updates off and still been a happy camper.

	(much kudoo's to mr. dillons now timely tuning.7, btw).

    another note regarding hw.ata.wc=0 as the default -

	if i assume that i've been running effectively with hw.ata.wc=1
	for the last couple of years, i would extrapolate that the likelyhood
	of a fbsd/ufs failure in this mode is small compared to the reliability
	problems of the rest of the system, and the same protection that
	covers those liabilities also cover my exposure to hw.ata.wc=1 problems
	(e.g., good backups, ups's, etc).

	given the huge impact that users (at least those like myself) see
	of this parameter, and the reliability impact that i think i understand,
	i am surprised by the choice of default.  it feels like a recruiting
	attempt for linux.  (btw, i do think that the freebsd project is probably
	the best working example of open source software, and its benefits,
	so i'm not trying to promote linux - but both have benefited from
	their coevolution).

	(system reliability: - i think hard drive failures are maybe #1 in
	occurance, motherboard and memory failures as #2, and pwr supply
	failures #3, and cpu failures last.)

	ok, i know the knobs to turn to solve my problems.
	i'm happy.  i'll shutup.  thanks again to all you hackers for a great os.
	i guess there really aren't evil space monsters invading the inner
	sanctum...

		-elh