Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:04:07 -0700
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "The Hermit Hacker" <scrappy@hub.org>, "Pierre Beyssac" <beyssac@enst.fr>
Cc:        <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Known MMAP() race conditions ... ?

	In general, an operating system should be used for what it does best. If
FreeBSD doesn't run INN very well, use Solaris or Linux. And don't upgrade
production servers without making sure the new operating system version can
handle the job well.

	At WebMaster, we have NT servers, Linux servers, FreeBSD servers, Sparc
servers, and an Irix server. We use each machine for what it does best.

> ah, okay, so you are saying that FreeBSD shouldn't be demonstrated using
> software that taxes/tweaks bugs in it?

	Yes, that's how demonstrations work. You don't demonstrate the things that
don't work.

> Boy, does that sound like a quick
> road to problems... Management: but, when you sold us on this operating
> system, it was perfectly stable.  Me: ya, well, I picked and choose the
> software I ran for the demo, sorry...

	Just be honest. "FreeBSD does a lot of things very well, let's use it for
the things it does well." Don't be an OS bigot. I'm sorry, no operating
system is best for everything.

> personal, sounds like something Microsoft would do, not something that
> *I'd* want to base a decision on.

	Actually, Microsoft would probably tell you NT is best for everything and
there's no reason to ever consider any other operating system.

	DS