Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:10:08 -0500
From:      "Bill McMilleon" <billmcmilleon@insightbb.com>
To:        "'Adam Weinberger'" <adam@vectors.cx>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: terminal server-like replacement for getty?

Perhaps I haven't explained my problem well enough.

I have an external Adtran 3000 Express ISDN terminal adapter (call it a
modem if you like)
connected to /dev/cuaa1.  This "modem" has several status and configuration
screens
that I can get in and tweak using minicom when I am on that physical
machine.  These screens
require VT100 emulation to work properly.

Now I have been able to ssh to this box, then run minicom to get to these
screens
successfully.  What I want to do is either telnet or ssh to a special port
(I know
how to config this part) and immediately upon login, be directly and
transparently
connected to this external serial device so I can manually run the AT
commands to access
the status/config screens it offers.

By "immediately" I mean after I hit enter on the password my next keystrokes
go
to the "modem"

By "directly and transparently" I mean no minicom-like status bar/menus,
just VT100 emulation,
which is what those status/config screens require.

Thanks again.

Bill McMilleon