Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:30:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org

The following reply was made to PR docs/21762; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
 "\nFrom lines"
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:27:13 -0700 (PDT)

 On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Nik Clayton wrote:

 > On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 04:28:24PM -0700, reed@reedmedia.net wrote:
 > > Here was my test message:
 > >
 > > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1319586+0+current/freebsd-questions
 > >

 > Looks OK to me.  What am I missing?

 The archive is missing the rest of my message. This wasn't a one time
 test -- I noticed this a few times before, then I figured out the problem
 and then I tested it to verify it.

 It is not okay. Please read the message at
 http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1319586+0+archive/2000/freebsd-questions/20001008.freebsd-questions

 My last line says "And the next line will be blank, followed by "From"
 with a space after it." But then NOTHING is after it. Also my signature is
 gone. This was explained in my bug report.

 If you notice, it has problems with the common unix mailbox message
 separator "\nFrom ".

 The email is sent correctly (with the next lines and with my signature),
 just it appears that the archiving is broken. (As explained in my email
 and in the bug report # 21762).

 This bug is not critical. But if someone writes an email that has a blank
 line and then the next line starts with "From " (followed by a space),
 then the web-based archived message will not contain the remainder of the
 email. (I am not sure if the message is still available -- maybe just the
 getmsg.cgi tool is broken.) This little problem could make it hard for
 someone to research and utilize some archived messages.

 Hope this explains this. I'll be glad to help more. Of course, I have not
 tested this since Oct. 4.

 I guess I should just find the problem myself. When I have time, I'll
 search through the cvsweb to find the source to the getmsg.cgi program to
 see if I can find the issue. But maybe the problem is below or before that
 -- maybe the problem is with the tool (mailindex 1.0 ?) that archives the
 message.

    Jeremy C. Reed
    http://www.reedmedia.net/