Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 05:35:34 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: simple back up method

Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net> types:
> I thought dump was all or nothing - whereas I often need just some files
> and the flexability of having them restore to a different place, or to
> have everything BUT whats already there restore.

dump is for entire file systems. Is isn't "all or nothing", as it can
do incrementals, and files can be set to not be dumped. You can
extract specific files from a dump tape - or all of them - to any
location you want. Doing a "restore", in the sense of recreating a
file system as it existed at the time of a specific dump, requires a
clean file system. I normally recovering single files by extracting
them into a scratch directory and then putting them where I want
them. Generating a list of "what's not already there" from the dump
tape TOC is relatively simple.

On the other hand, archiving a few files isn't really a backup system
type task.

	<mike