Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 1995 08:29:09 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Robert Fickling <bigbob@crl.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3C503 ethernet

>	I just bought a FreeBSD 2.0 cdrom  and tried to load it from the
>CDROM drive on a Sun machine over the local ethernet network.
>The FreeBSD diskettes don't seem to recognize my 3COM, 3C503 ethernet
>card. :-(
>The 3C503, Etherlink II card is at address 280, which has worked for
>other operating systems.
>What is the best ethernet card for FreeBSD?

   16bit cards work best.

>Can the 3C503 ever work with FreeBSD?

   Yes, the 3c503 is supported and works well considering that most of them
are only 8bit cards (there are some newer ones that are 16bit). The problem in
your case is simply that FreeBSD is expecting the card at ioaddr 300. At the
boot> prompt, type '-c'. This will cause the kernel to stop in "userconfig"
before probing the devices. You can then change the address of the card. Use
the "help" command to see how to do this. Once you get things up and running,
you should either change the address of your card to match the kernel, or
build a custom kernel with the proper address.

-DG