Date:      Sun, 04 Dec 2011 13:37:16 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
To:        Hans Ottevanger <hans@beastielabs.net>, Alex Moura <alexsm@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why aren't you using FreeBSD?

At 03:57 AM 12/3/2011, Hans Ottevanger wrote:

>Other valid questions that I often hear asked are of course "Why
>do you -still- use FreeBSD?" and "Why are you moving away from
>FreeBSD?". A discussion on the latter (and what to do about) it
>was conducted a bit out-of-place on arch@ starting last August:
>
>http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arch/2011-August/011412.html

I agree with many of the points in that posting -- especially with
the observation that major versions are coming out too frequently
and branches are being dropped too quickly. The release schedule
should be such that at any given time, one should be able to
install an X.Y release, with Y >= 2, that is not more than one
major revision behind the latest development work and will be fully
supported with security patches for 30 months or more.
Administrators need this, and the fact that FreeBSD is not
providing it is causing some to switch and others to become seriously unhappy.

--Brett Glass