Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 13:45:28 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Advanced Networking Question

Hi all,

From the Advanced Networking chapter of the Handbook :

      <title>Dual Homed Hosts</title>
      <para>There is one other type of configuration that we should cover, and
	that is a host that sits on two different networks. Technically, any
	machine functioning as a gateway (in the example above, using a PPP
	connection) counts as a dual-homed host.  But the term is really only
	used to refer to a machine that sits on two local-area
	networks.</para>

      <para>In one case, the machine has two Ethernet cards, each having an
	address on the separate subnets.  Alternately, the machine may only
	have one Ethernet card, and be using &man.ifconfig.8; aliasing.  The former is
	used if two physically separate Ethernet networks are in use, the
	latter if there is one physical network segment, but two logically
	separate subnets.</para>

      <para>Either way, routing tables are set up so that each subnet knows
	that this machine is the defined gateway (inbound route) to the other
	subnet.  This configuration, with the machine acting as a Bridge <=====
	between the two subnets, is often used when we need to implement
	packet filtering or firewall security in either or both
	directions.</para>

Now I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that routing was a layer
3 function, and bridging was layer two, so isn't the statement that the machine
is acting as a bridge incorrect (since it also states that the machine is doing
routing) ?

Thanks,

Ceri

--