Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:33:43 -0800
From:      "David Anderson" <DRCAnderson@xtra.co.nz>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Failed bin install using CD *and* Floppies 4.2

Hi
Can anyone suggest anything helpful to the 2 following 4.2 bin
install problems.

(i) With CD (burnt by me) all bin's including bin.inf burnt onto
Mitsubishi 650mb/74inch.
Nothing else on this one time recordable disk.

After choosing CDROM as install media.

"Warning: The CD currently in the drive is either not a FreeBSD
CD or it is older (pre 2.1.5) FreeBSD CD which does not have a
version number on it.
Do you want to use this anyway?"

I click ok then get ......"Unable to transfer the bin
distribution from acd0c."

Has anybody else encountered this problem - Can anyone help?

(ii) With 25 floppies carefully set up with bins and bin.inf as
per install.txt I get 75% of the way and hit "Write failure on
transfer! Wrote -1 bytes of 240640 bytes."

Does this indicate a hard drive problem? I have been running
Slackware Linux on this same box for some time with no problems.
I replaced the bins and floppy in question but still the same
result.

What about this problem? - Can anyone help?  Any suggestions
would be much appreciated.

Dave