Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 15:41:01 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Dave Marquardt <marquard@zilker.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.org, ken@plutotech.com
Subject:   Re: kern/10663: hpscan doesn't like 3.1's pt device

>Andrew Cagney <cagney@tpgi.com.au> writes:
>>  	Workaround:
>>
>>  	Switch to the ``sane'' scanner but then find that that has
>>  	other problems (do I really need ``chmod a+rw /dev/xpt0''? ;-).
>
>No, just create a `scanner' group, put yourself in it, then
>
>	chgrp scanner /dev/xpt0
>	chmod 660 /dev/xpt0

We can probably make some of the ioctls provided by the xpt device
accessable to users who only have read permissions on the device.  SANE
likely uses the device matching and listing functions which can't be used
to compromise the system. Of course, some may feel that being able to list
the types of SCSI devices in the system is a security hole, so we'd
probably continue to ship the XPT device as r/w only by root.

--
Justin