Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 12:07:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        rnordier@iafrica.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A simple way to crash your system.

> > I have a five-week break coming up in mid-December.  The code is
> > pretty much all done now, anyway, so I'll aim to surpise you. :-)
>
>     That would be most welcome!  I'm not sure how much longer I can
> stand Linux folk saying things like "Gee, how can you trust FreeBSD's
> filesystem if the developers can't even get an MS-DOS filesystem to
> work properly?", as they go load up their VFAT/NTFS/HPFS filesystems.
> *sigh*

We *can* make it work properly.

There are a small number of *trivial* VFS changes that would help
immensely.  I'm not going to code around bogosities that should
not be there in the first place; If I wanted such bogosities, I'd
work on Linux, where the prevalidation of memory access makes it
a bit faster on combined copyin/out operations, but opens a nice
race window each time you invoke kernel preemption (can you say
"clone()"?  I knew you could...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---