Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 05:42:45 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Nathan Vidican" <nvidican@ipsnetwork.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: erasing a tape volume, (or possible dump is broken?)

Nathan Vidican <nvidican@ipsnetwork.net> types:
> I tried to do another zero level dump this evening, on a tape which I
> had previously used for a zero level dump. It dumped about 1.8gigs, and
> then asked for the second tape volume; the drive is a DDS-2
> (4gig/8compressed) internal Seagate SCSI DAT. I used the command: dump
> -0au /server; when I do a df, the partition /server has only got about
> 2.1gigs used (out of a possible 4.3 on a RAID array (mirrored via
> hardware controller), so I know it shouldn't be a capacioty issue). What
> I'm not sure of though, does dump over-write what's on a tape, or append
> to it? If the latter is true this would make sense; but if not then how
> exactly to I force dump to either overwrite with a new volume on the
> tape each time, or erase the tape beforehand?

Dump does neither of those, but starts writing on the tape at whatever
point the tape is wound to. If you did something that left the tape at
the end of the first archive, then it will start writing from that
point on, and the a flag will cause it to stop and ask for a new tape.
You can check that by doing a restore t and seeing which dump you
have. Doing an "mt fsf 1" will skip over the first file on the tape,
and you can then do "restore t" again to see if there's a second dump
on the tape.

>    I also thought, that maybe since I've forced dump to auto-detect the
> capacity of the tape that it a_may not be compressing the data to
> achieve the 8gig capacity of the drive, or b-may be somehow screwing up,
> or as previously assumed appending to an existing volume.

That should be a driver issue, not a dump issue.

	<mike